Re: Request for comments on UI change (resend)

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999 17:51:09 EST, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

>>  Yes, if event->type == GTK_BUTTON_PRESS is a single click;  if
>>  event->type is GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS you got a double click.
>
>This is not entirely accurate.  The sequence of events for a double
click is

>	GDK_BUTTON_PRESS
	[1]
>	GDK_BUTTON_RELEASE
>	GDK_BUTTON_PRESS
>	GDK_2BUTTON_PRESS
	[2]
>	GDK_BUTTON_RELEASE
>
>So either you make your action on GDK_BUTTON_PRESS be idempotent, or
>you use the events' timestamps to distinguish between single and
>double clicks.

The problem in this case, though, is that we want to do one thing on click-and-hold and the other on double click.  So I need to execute an action at point [1] (above), which means that I never actually get to [2].

At least, that's what I thought when I originally suggested using button 2 for action [1].  The other alternative is to simply remove the double-click behavior and move that action into the button-3 popup menu.

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999