Re: Request for comments on UI change (resend)

>  The next in my series of little improvements is adding the "quick
>  view" windows from the monthly view to the week view.  For those not
>  familiar enough with the code to know what I'm talking about, I'm
>  referring to the windows which pop up to display the day's events
>  when you click on a day in the Month View.

The week view should be replaced.  This was my intention as I was
writing the "new" month view and year view, that is, the ones that are
canvas-based.  I never got time to do the week view and day view,
though.

My idea was to have a useful week view like the one in the Palm
Pilot.  You have a grid with days in one axis and hours in another
axis:

	Mon	Tue	Wed	Thu	Fri	Sat	Sun
08:00
09:00
10:00
16:00
17:00

Inside the grid you have bars that represent the time spans of
days --- think of each day column as a little version of the full day
view, with nicely laid-out bars.

The code to do this nifty layout is in layout.[ch]; this computes a
generic layout, and it is up to the client to decide what to do with
that information.  The full day view in gncal-full-day.c:layout_children()
uses the functions in layout.c and resizes the child widgets.  The
week view should resize the bars instead.

Ideally you would be able to drag and drop these event bars around,
just like in the Pilot.  If you double-click on a bar, you would open
up the event editor for that event.  If you double click on a day
heading, you would jump to that day in the day view.

This is not hard to do, it is just normal GUI grunt work.  Hopefully
the canvas will make it easy :-)

  Federico