Re: [BuildStream] Formalizing committers

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 9:42 AM Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
Hi Tristan,

> Actions
> ~~~~~~~

[...]
> * The gitlab membership statuses and ability to merge will be adjusted
>   so that only committers can merge to protected branches.

How do we handle this with the Marge bot? Right now anyone who can
assign an MR to Marge can effectively merge to master.

Would it make sense to enable merge request approvals, requiring at
least 1 approval from a committer but allowing an MR author to approve
their own MR as well (if they are a committer)? I think this would
match the commit policy and also work with Marge.

It sounds a lot like what CODEOWNERS is used for typically.

I.e., uncheck 'Prevent approval of merge requests by merge request
author' and maybe also uncheck 'Can override approvers and approvals
required per merge request' in the GitLab project settings.

I think that we can separate technical enforcement from social enforcement
for now.  If we can make it work easily, let's do it.  I don't think it needs to be
a showstopper at this point.

Cheers,
Jürg

Cheers,