Re: [BuildStream] Formalizing committers

Hi Tristan,

Just to point out that we did adopt some of the Subversion guidelines already.
I remember adding text for 'Committer access' to CONTRIBUTING [0].

On 2020-05-29 07:49, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
Actions
~~~~~~~
Unless there are changes introduced by this discussion, the following
actions will take effect after a short grace period:

* A new COMMITTERS file will be added as a simple text file with a list
  of the project's committers.

We also created a COMMITTERS file as part of this [1].
That list clearly needs reviewing/trimming though - it's outdated now.

* The gitlab membership statuses and ability to merge will be adjusted
  so that only committers can merge to protected branches.

We also added some scripting to update the Committer list based on gitlab user permissions [2].
Quite possibly this ended up being a bit over-engineered tbh...

Of course, I'm not saying that we should stick with what we have.
Simply pointing out some of the prior work that's landed already.

Cheers,
Laurence

[0] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/-/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.rst [1] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/-/blob/master/COMMITTERS.rst
[2] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/-/merge_requests/1505