Re: [BuildStream] Fetch and extract source code for build target

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, 2020-01-29 at 13:30 +0800, Daniel Drake wrote:
My request may be a little unusual. I would like to download and
extract all the source code for the org.gnome.Platform flatpak
runtime, which is built using buildstream from
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-build-meta

At that point I will run some source analysis tool. I don't actually
need to build it.

I've experimented and the closest I've found is:
$ bst track -d all flatpak/platform.bst
$ bst fetch flatpak/platform.bst

The closest in BuildStream 1.x is probably `bst source-bundle`,
however, it also includes build dependencies (and even build scripts).

With BuildStream master (1.91+) you can use

    bst source checkout --directory src --deps run flatpak/platform.bst

to checkout all sources into a directory. `--deps run` includes runtime
dependencies but excludes build-only dependencies.

However, I think gnome-build-meta is (understandably) not yet
compatible with BuildStream master. If it's important it would likely
be fairly simple to locally modify BuildStream 1.x to exclude build-
only dependencies in `bst source-bundle` (selection in source_bundle()
method in _stream.py).

Cheers,
Jürg