Re: [BuildStream] Merging 'git_tag' and 'git'

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 18:42:42 +0100
Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:
Can you please elaborate on the use case for (3)? I can't currently
think of a scenario where tracking the latest commit/tag from multiple
branches (by comparing commit dates) would be useful and robust.

I was purely copying across the behaviour from 'git_tag'... but as I
was doing so, I started to come to the same conclusion. I'm not sure
whether this behaviour really makes sense for a typical Git repo. The
point of branches is that they are different and may diverge; switching
back and forwards between two different sets of commits based on date
doesn't seem useful.

I did suggest tracking of multiple branches in #220 almost two years
ago, however, with a difference. I suggested the list of branches to be
considered candidate branches and the first branch that exists would be
tracked. The idea of this was that it would allow specifying release
branches that haven't been created yet. This should be more robust
(assuming the upstream project does not delete release branches).

I'm agreed here, this seems more sensible. It would be good to hear
from any of the Freedesktop SDK maintainers as to whether this is
suitable?

--
Tom Mewett <tom mewett codethink co uk>