Re: [BuildStream] Contribution Guidelines, Status of nosoftware subgroup

Hey Chandan,

Thanks for raising this.

Personally I agree with everything you've said, we should tidy up that area, and simplify contributing policies to be as straightforward as possible.

iirc, the MR and issue templates are stored in the 'nosoftware' repo, and I think I put the beaver there just so we had it somewhere accessible after we purchased the image.

But, my goal would be to remove the nosoftware subgroup entriely, after migrating things out. It was just a 'staging' area for ideas for the contributing guides, I think.

Cheers,
Laurence

On 2020-04-08 23:34, Chandan Singh wrote:
Hi,

I was looking at our contributing guide to add some specifics on issue
reporting, which is when I realized that our contributing docs
(https://docs.buildstream.build/master/CONTRIBUTING.html#filing-issues)
refer to a policy guide in a separate "nosoftware/alignment" repository
(https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/nosoftware/alignment/-/blob/master/BuildStream_policies.md).

I personally found this rather odd and I don't see why these instructions need to live in a separate repository. In fact, I was thinking about making this
section more prominent, and move out of the Contributing section to the
top-level index. But, that's a separate concern.

The information in the nosoftware/alignment repository is certainly out of date now given that it hasn't been updated in over an year. In my opinion, we should some of this content to the main contributing guide, perhaps in a more condensed form. The current guide seems very process oriented and focuses too much on labels, assignees, statuses etc. I think we can simplify most of this since we should aim to keep the barrier to entry for contribution low. How do folks feel
about this?

---

This specific question aside, I am also curious about the nosoftware subgroup (https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/nosoftware) in general. Since none of the repositories there have been updated in quite a while, I wanted to ask if
anyone is maintaining it currently?

If so, I think we need to document what each repository is supposed to do. At present, they seem to have a weird combination of pdf reports, status updates,
shell scripts and weirdly enough our beloved BuildStream Beaver.

If not, we should probably move some of the content to the main repository or
the website, and archive the rest.

Let me know.

Cheers!
Chandan