Re: [BuildStream] bst-artifact-server plans

On 06/09/2019 12:07, Jürg Billeter wrote:
[...]
In my opinion, a single Artifact service implementation with
configurable storage backends would be sensible.
[...]
# Make the CAS service part in bst-artifact-server a simple proxy
[...]
# Move bst-artifact-server to a separate repository
[...]
# Configurable storage backends

I think all the above makes sense.

As the next step we should make the storage backend for Artifact (and
Source) protos configurable. The simple filesystem storage should still
be supported but the plan is to add at least one scalable backend. The
first new backend will likely use PostgreSQL, allowing multi-master
operation, but other options exists as well, of course. For single
server deployments, an SQLite backend could be an interesting
alternative to the filesystem backend.

Why PostgreSQL in particular as the first effort? I have no strong
feelings on that but I think it would be best for the first backend to
have a ready user/use-case.

# Query support

To manage a server with a large number of artifacts, supporting queries
and deletions will be important. The details are not defined yet,
however, I expect us to create a CLI tool in the same repository for
this.

The details hopefully will not depend on the backend however, that is
probably unavoidable. I think it makes sense to either have an api for
low-level interactions with the backend or support plugins to minimise
maintenance.

Any thoughts, concerns or comments on this proposal?

Cheers,
Jürg

¹ https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/merge_requests/1540