Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: Decouple source tracking and building

Hi Tristan,

On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 11:37 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom via buildstream-
list wrote:
[...]

So, the main reason I added this long ago was indeed because I
planned to use it in a very specific CI situation (besides the fact
that I think it’s just a very cool feature, which is indeed
subjective).

Consider a CI scenario where you have many people committing to the
master branch of many git repositories simultaneously and you just
don’t have the horse power to run builds of all reverse dependencies
for each commit (a scenario I happen to be facing right now
actually), and you want to report build failures as fast as possible.

Would it be possible to use git post-receive hooks or triggers to
update the 'refs' in the BuildStream project instead of periodically
tracking all git repos? That would likely be faster overall.

This wouldn't work for external git repositories, of course. However,
in that case you would probably anyway want git mirroring to local
servers and that could again trigger the 'ref' updates.

Cheers,
Jürg