Re: [BuildStream] [Proposal] 1.4 release (and potential further 1.x releases)

Hi Tristan,

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 11:48 AM Tristan Van Berkom via buildstream-list <buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:
[...]
As discussed in the last team meeting:

    https://meetbot.gnome.org/buildstream-meetings/2019/buildstream-meetings.2019-05-14-14.00.log.html

Clarification sidenote: these meetings should not be taken as consensus or the opinion of all actively working on BuildStream.

I think there are good justifications to rolling a highly conservative
1.4 release.

There are some roadblocks which are starting to be painful in 1.2
(especially hard coded max-jobs), which require action on the one hand,

I'm assuming this set is small, and a small delta to 1.2?

and on the other hand there are some conveniences introduced in master
that are extremely unlikely to change (e.g. 'build-depends' and cross
junction colon notation for dependencies).

My opinion: if you need those, track master.

Judging from the meeting, I think there is also large consensus that we
should not be backporting things that are at all likely to change (e.g.
the CLI interfaces).

While technically BuildStream 2 is a separate beast and it will
certainly differ from BuildStream 1 in some ways, it is highly
desirable that their paths do not diverge - for example, if we backport
things from BuildStream 2 and those APIs change for whatever reason,
then we will be stuck with the ugly story of having more than one
porting guide for porting to BuildStream 2, I think we would do well to
stay extremely conservative and avoid any such situation.

And even when being conservative that won't be a guarantee, as there may be new insights.

I'll comment inline on the proposed backports you've listed below...
[...]

Thanks for taking such a serious look at the long list of desired backports.

Sander