[BuildStream] Confirmation: changes to release schedule

Hi,

During the gathering [0] in January this year and on this list prior to the event [1], we discussed and agreed a change to BuildStream's release model. I wanted to send this mail so that it could serve as formal confirmation what was agreed with that decision.

We are not going to be releasing version 1.4, and instead we are focusing all efforts on a new version of BuildStream, the current master branch, which will eventually stabilise and become version 2.0. Tristan outlines some of the reasons why in the recent blog post [2].

Version 2.0 will not be backwards compatible with the 1.x series of releases, but we are still aiming for a (mostly) compatible .bst file format, in order to make the transition as smooth as possible. We don't know when the new version will stabilise, and we purposely aren't committing to a date, but we don't expect this to be in 2019. We are therefore not actively working on 1.2, but will continue to make releases so long as bug-fixes are contributed and it is the only stable version available.

I'll also update the docs (probably the README) and the website.

Thanks,
Laurence

[0] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bENn0gIHDPyTXaRwqSoA2F11gn55vvWLB7qMIe3Pk1U/edit#heading=h.hzgqfngiju [1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2019-January/msg00010.html [2] https://blogs.gnome.org/tvb/2019/03/04/buildstream-news-and-2-0-planning/