Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: A small number of subprocesses handling jobs

And one more...

On Mar 4, 2019, at 4:39 PM, Tristan Van Berkom via buildstream-list <buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:

[...]
Also I think my original question needs answering, how heavy were the builds in the sample which shows that
spawning a process is unreasonably slow, how do we know this is a non negligible overhead ?

With the knowledge that most builds will themselves spawn many processes anyway, why is it worth making
such drastic changes ?

Well, in the remote execution case I suppose we shave off spawning processes on the client when orchestrating
heavy loads with a lot of parallelism.

But even then, under heavy loads we also incur an overhead by doing all python processing in the main
process, we should really know that this tradeoff is worthwhile before jumping to conclusions.