Re: [BuildStream] Please try tox ! [Was: Update CI and testing process]

Hi Tristan and Chandan,

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 4:32 PM Tristan Van Berkom via BuildStream-list
<buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:

Hi all,

We are now using tox (https://tox.readthedocs.org/) for running tests !

Please try running the tests on your own workstations using tox, and
let us know of any changes; if anything unexpectedly fails, or if what
used to fail on your workstation now passes.

<snip>

Just wanted to say that the change I've noticed is that this is awesome,
I find it much simpler and faster to run tests and build the docs.

After fiddling a bit, I've found that I can run a single test in just a few
seconds and ~30 lines of output like so:

    tox -e py36 --develop -- --no-cov
tests/frontend/workspace.py::test_open[git]

This is good enough that I don't feel the need to invoke pytest separately
anymore, much better!

I've added a hint about '--no-cov' to contributing.rst here:
https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/merge_requests/1059

I don't know enough about Python packaging to make a recommendation
about '--develop' or 'skipsdist=True'. Maybe I'll come back to that
another time, I find it saves a few seconds for our project:
https://tox.readthedocs.io/en/latest/example/general.html#avoiding-expensive-sdist

Cheers!
Angelos