Re: [BuildStream] BuildStream Versioning & Releases

On 2019-01-02 13:11, Sander Striker wrote:
First of all Happy New Year.

Same to you :-)

<snip>
My proposal would be to stop doing 1.x releases altogether, and to
wait with doing a 2.0 release until we are satisfied we can give the
stability guarantees that are associated with a major release.
In the meantime we can figure out a way to do 2.0 alpha releases, or
some other convenience for our early adopters.

That makes sense to me, but what about the folks actually cutting code?

Can I safely rephrase this as "Increased Adoption"?

Yup :)

- bst 'releases' require minimal effort, since they are mostly just
tag and announcement. the real work has been already handled via
CI/CD

Ideally.  We may end up with something slightly more than that.  We
should ensure that mainline development is not impacted by the release
process though.

Agreed.

- bst satisfies all of the criteria for 'trustable software
construction' [2]

I think that bst can serve as a tool to accomplish this, but in
isolation and without context I don't think that is a claim that can
be made.  That is, whether it can tick the boxes of that definition,
depends on how the project and bst files are constructed, the
infrastructure setup, the underlying build systems, etc.

That's true, but I'm only referring to bst in this context.

Put it another way... if bst is used to construct $foo, and something surprising/confusing happens (e.g. build fails/succeeds unexpectedly, takes longer than it should have done, leads to the wrong output or whatever) then bst should never be the source of the confusion/surprise. Having certainty about bst should make it easier to figure out the actual culprit.

br
Paul