Re: [BuildStream] Artifact as a Proto plan

Hi Raoul,

On Mon, 2019-02-11 at 14:53 +0000, Raoul Hidalgo Charman via
BuildStream-list wrote:
The service will implement the following RPCs, somewhat similar to to
the current reference service:
* GetArtifact: given a reference returns a single artifact proto, the
service first checking whether buildtrees and log files are present and
updating the proto.

As this is checking buildtrees and log files, I assume this will also
check whether all blobs of the main payload are available (calling
FindMissingBlobs on the CAS server) and otherwise return NOT_FOUND, or
do you have a different approach in mind?

* GetArtifacts: gives a list of references returns the artifact protos
that are available. This will have an additional Boolean option for
checking content as GetArtifact does, but without it will return
artifact protos without updating  them.

Do we really need/want this? What's the use case?

Besides possible scaling concerns, this would make it impossible to use
a single artifact server in a team where not everyone should have
access to all artifacts. For sensitive content, we would likely anyway
recommend setting up separate artifact servers, however, there may be
scenarios where not listing artifacts may suffice as isolation.

Cheers,
Jürg