Re: [BuildStream] Dropping support for `setup.py test`

Hi Chandan,

On Dec 6, 2019, at 8:19 PM, Chandan Singh <chandan chandansingh net> wrote:
[...]
If the use case is that the integrators are already expected to have
all the dependencies installed in some environment, then why do we
need this additional inderiction of `setup.py test`? Can't we just
call pytest at that point?

Integrators already have the requirements and dev-requirements files to refer to for system dependencies so I
think there is no loss there (if Cython and BuildBox are not covered here I’m sure it’s already covered, or
can be in other documentation).

I think calling pytest directly would be perfectly fine yes, it would address any concerns I have with
removing support for the setup.py test path.

I would only ask that we add something to the CONTRIBUTING.rst to reflect how to do this against system
dependencies.