Re: [BuildStream] Plugins migration and testing

Hi Sander,

Just a one-off comment from me to clear up some of the confusion around the different plugin repositories:

I am not convinced that moving everything into buildstream-plugins-experimental is ideal.  We are now moving plugins that had a blessed status by virtue of being in the core to an area called "experimental".  I would have preferred buildstream-plugins-core or even just bst-plugins if we stuck to the move everything in core to a single repo as an intermediate.  There was already precedent for having multiple repos (bst-external, bst-plugins-experimental and bst-plugins-container), so one more wasn't going to hurt(?)

I'm actually unclear how bst-external and bst-plugins-experimental relate, as they seem to have overlapping content?  The docker source plugin seems to also be duplicated?

bst-plugins-experimental is the repository that currently contains versions of plugins from bst-external that work on BuildStream 2.0. It's the plugins repository that should be used when running BuildStream from the master branch, since the old plugins from BuildStream 1.x are incompatible with BuildStream 2.0+ and vice-versa. Any duplication simply stems from plugins that weren't touched because they use no changed API, and obviously they'd share names. There are also some new additions since development for 1.x has stalled a little.

In other words, -experimental because the branch providing the plugin API is experimental, not because the plugins are experimental.

There is actually not much precedent for having multiple repos, as bst-plugins-container came after the first couple of de-cores, to my knowledge (although I'm all for it and have been pushing for it). My guess is that the first couple of core plugins we removed were considered de-blessed, and naturally went to the same repository that is the de-facto bst-external of BuildStream 2.0. The precedent then made that seem right for all the other plugins that were removed.

Naming-wise, I agree that this is unfortunate, but as far as I know the bst-plugins-experimental repository is anyway intended to be renamed once BuildStream 2.0 becomes stable. A name like bst-plugins-core is probably appropriate, with the non-blessed plugins from there moving to something like bst-plugins-extra.

In essence, bst-plugins-experimental naturally evolved to be the temporary holding ground that you suggest for now; We could consider renaming it ahead of schedule to reduce confusion -- it has certainly confused me in the past, I'd love to see that.

Cheers,

Sander

Regards,

Tristan