Re: [BuildStream] [Summary] Plugin fragmentation / Treating Plugins as Sources

Hi,

On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 20:05 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom via buildstream-
list wrote:
The `git` plugin origin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[… snip …]
  * This proposal downloads unnecessary git history of plugin
    repositories, and adds unnecessary load to upstream git
    repositories which host these plugins.

    I believe this particular point is moot when you consider that
    it is the same for regular source code from git, and that we
    already have SourceCache as a mitigation for this.

In the case of plugins, having the history seems entirely wasteful and
unnecessary. Why not do shallow clones, fetching only the required
version of the plugin?

The `venv` plugin origin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[… snip …]
  * We would not need to bless any specific technique for hosting
    the plugins, people could have the option to publish plugins
    on PyPI, or use their preferred VCS so long as `pip` has support
    for installing from that VCS.

Note that in this case, pip will download the whole VCS history of the
plugin, so if it was a negative for the `git` proposal then it's also a
negative point for this one.

Except for the `git` origin Buildstream can support shallow clones of
plugins, whereas for the ` venv` origin then pip just won't:

    https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/2432

So the argument that unnecessary VCS history is downloaded for the
plugins is somehow worse for the ` venv` origin.

--
Mathieu