Re: [BuildStream] Partial local CAS for remote execution - next steps

Hi Jürg,

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:16 PM Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:

[...]
If artifact pushing is enabled and the artifact server is distinct from
the RE CAS server, the file blobs are still downloaded.

I see two follow-ups as possible next steps with regards to partial
local CAS:

 * Add configuration option to disable fetching file blobs even for the
   specified build targets and their runtime dependencies (when remote
   execution is used). I'm not planning to change the default behavior.

 * Support fetching missing file blobs from RE CAS server (or artifact
   server) on demand for commands that need them such as bst checkout,
   bst shell, or local build. This will likely require discussion about
   CLI options and default behavior and can be considered related to on
   demand pulling of buildtrees.

Any comments or concerns with these plans?

These make perfect sense in terms of minimizing network traffic.

Are there users that would
benefit from the above for their current use cases or is this more a
nice to have and not urgent?

I think for optimal BuildStream Remote Execution these are great to have.  I don't think anyone is blocked on the implementation though.

Cheers,
Jürg

Cheers,

Sander