Re: [BuildStream] [Proposal] Plugin fragmentation / Treating Plugins as Sources

I would change some things, but it's up to you. Some simple typos too.

On 2019-04-16 16:17, William Salmon wrote:
Indeed, it is very long. I am very interested in this topic and have
tried to engage with this thread several times. But I have struggled
to keep track of the thread and I must confess to not really
understanding the details of your proposal. It is not only myself that
dose not have the capacity for this email. Other reply seems to have
said a similar thing.

You mentioned last time that this puts people off. That's a very important point (although separate to this thread, it's one to raise, I think).

Before this thread got too technical I would like to have had a
opportunity to have joined the architectural discussion.

From my perspective, as a user of may open source projects, I do not
expect my OS to give me cutting edge versions of programs and I really
don't expect it to have multiple versions of the same software so I am
really confused as to why build stream is trying so hard to go so far
above and bond when we have plenty of big challenges already.

Simple typo on 'may' - should be 'many'

also say 'above and beyond' not 'bond'

As a user of buildstream at work and occasionally at home I have been
running bst 1.2 and bst master side by side for different projects for
months in separate venv's.

I have found this very easy to set up, and use. But I am very familiar
with python, (maybe not by this groups standards but certainly by our
I have target users standers)

I would leave off this bit in brackets. you are an expert, i've told you this :)

When I contrast this to other opensource projects, even those with
sponsorship and a supportive user base that I have used personally,
were trying out master close to the releaseĀ  date requires compiling
them for a hour or two i think the venv model works really well.

Please name drop said project, that will add more weight.

For people who really want to have a system wide bst 1.2 and master
then there are other solutions like docker or vm's that also work
well.

From my perspective I think getting bst2 to be great so that we don't
have to support a long transition would be a much better model, we
already have loads of great features and some more on the way, we have
had a fair delay since 1.2 so we are not messing our users about too
regularly.

Getting bst2 really good might need us to change the plugin model but
I have really struggled to follow the discussions that far.

not sure about this last sentence. what's the intention?

will chat f2f