Re: [BuildStream] How to catch regressions in buildstream's interactive interface

On Mon, 2018-10-15 at 17:59 +0100, Jonathan Maw via BuildStream-list wrote:
Hi,

I am working on an issue that involves changing how buildstream works
when you use buildstream in interactive mode, fail a build, and launch
the shell. While it's mostly the same codepath as `bst shell --build`, I
am concerned that my ability to test its workings are extremely manual.

The solutions I can think of are:
* A checklist of behaviour that can only be manually checked? Bad,
because it'd lead to an ever-expanding list of things to check as time
goes on.
* Some kind of test harness that monitors stdout/stderr and can write
commands to stdin? Very hard to write something general-purpose, and
since it's not using machine-readable output, prone to behaving in
unexpected ways.

Is this a goal worth pursuing? Does anyone know any other solutions?

Definitely the latter yes. We need a test harness which allows
interactive communication with BuildStream.

This is a significant hole in our current CI and is definitely worth
pursuing :)