Re: [BuildStream] Buildtrees in 1.4 release

On 30/11/2018 06:28, Tristan Van Berkom via BuildStream-list wrote:
Hi Laurence,

On Thu, 2018-11-29 at 21:47 +0000, Laurence Urhegyi via BuildStream-list wrote:
<snip>
If we're being honest, it's looking unlikely that we'll be able to set
configuration options for creation and pushing in time for 1.4.

Is this really acceptable to users, to not have these be optional?
Given the issues in Gitlab and explained below it seems like this is a big issue for at least two.

I'd like others to weigh in here but I feel like hiding this feature
with an experimental flag is the right thing to do for the  1.4 release.

Tristan eludes to my point later so I'm not sure about ML etiquette about putting this text hear.

I think this question can not be answered until we can understand and thus trade off the cost of delaying 1.4 vs disabling them.

Were we do this for the 1.4 branch but not master, would need to leave time to have a really good shake down of bugs this might introduce? And then any back ported fixes might be even harder? A flag might be even more complex.

My guess would be that a delay would be cheaper, however i am not familiar with the costs of delay, so its just a guess.

A few things to say here:

* Enabling build tree creation to unblock the surrounding feature
work was the first thing we did when early branching for 1.2

Which means we have had more than an entire release cycle to
make this work perfectly - having to back this out now, would be
very sad.

I agree that this would be very sad.

* I am doubtful of the importance of any option for *creation* of
build trees, especially now that we have local cache cleanup
in a robust enough state.

Multiple people have found the user experience on a "realistic" project, un-usable, due to it being incredibly slow. https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/734 and https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/754.

In other words, the local cache only needs to be large enough
to store the sources, build trees and build results for a single
full build - this is the same amount of local disk space required
for a full build using say, JHBuild.

Has anyone even raised an issue or proposed that *creation* of
the build trees should be optional ?

I thought the idea was that buildtrees in the whole would be optional if the local clean up worked this may never have been a issue.

I would propose that the issue is not their creation, as i think this is needed to create cache keys etc but the inability to not add them to the local cache. How ever this is a technicality to a user.

* If there are other features that we've been planning for 1.4
much later in the cycle that are not landed yet, it makes a lot
more sense to postpone those in order to ensure what we've already
landed works seamlessly, than to start backing out previous
features.

+1

Finally, I wanted to make a statement soon about the release dates but
didn't judge that people were going to be panicking this week yet.

The point is that, we're trying to move the release cycle to be earlier
in order for our releases to be more conveniently *before* our regular
hackfests and meetups, rather than releasing directly after our
meetups.

This totally makes sense for the sake of the meetups, but the quality
and reliability of the release is certainly more important than the
convenience of our meetup.

Maybe we were overzealous in moving the release dates too early too
quickly, and it will make more sense to keep it at the regular date for
1.4 (I think that puts release day in early March and feature/API
freeze in February).
+1

It makes no sense for people to be developing in a state of panic, and
since we did try to change the release dates in mid cycle, not doing so
this cycle is a lot less drastic than backing out features.
+1