Re: [BuildStream] Partial local CAS

On 08/11/2018 22:01, Sander Striker via BuildStream-list wrote:
Hi,

After the exchange in the "Coping with partial artifacts" thread, I realize that we haven't actually had a conversation on list about partial local CAS, and by extension local ArtifactCache.  Let me first explain what I mean with partial local CAS.  Let's define it as a CAS that contains Tree and Directory nodes, but not the [all of] actual file content blobs.

I'll outline the context and importance of this concept. In remote execution builds do not run on the local machine. As such to be able to perform a build, it is important to be able to _describe_ the inputs to a build.  When all of the input files are locally available, this can be done.  However, when the input files are not locally available, should we then incur the cost of fetching them?  Is there another way?

To answer that question let's review how remote execution is supposed to work again in the context of BuildStream.  To build an element:

1) Compose a merkle tree of all dependencies, and all sources
2) Create a Command and an Action message
3) FindMissingBlobs(command, action, blobs in the merkle tree)
4) Upload the missing blobs
5) Submit the request to the execution service
6) Wait for the request to complete
7) Download the result merkle tree
8) Construct a merkle tree for the Artifact (based on the result)
9) FindMissingBlobs(blobs in the artifact merkle tree)
10) Upload the missing blobs
11) Store a ref to the artifact merkle tree in ArtifactCache

Let's dive in a bit and look where the inefficiencies are in the current implementation.

Step 1 happens during staging.  More specifically in buildelement.py:stage().  We start with the dependencies.  For directories backed by CAS, we don't need to actually stage them on the filesystem.  We can import files between CAS directories by reference (hash), without even needing the files locally.  This isn't currently implemented (_casbaseddirectory.py:import_files), but that should change with CAS-to-CAS import (MR !911). After the depencies are staged, we move on to the sources. Currently this is still fairly clunky, as we are actually staging sources on the filesystem and then importing that into our virtual staging directory (element.py:_stage_sources_at). With SourceCache this should be as efficient as staging dependencies for non-modified elements.

Step 2 through 11 all happen during _sandboxremote.py:run().
Step 2-4 aren't currently implemented in this fashion, and instead serially call a number of network RPCs.  In _sandboxremote.py:run() a call is made to cascache.push_directory().  This will push up any missing directory nodes, or any missing files. In _sandboxremote:run_remote_command() we are using cascache.push_message(), followed by cascache.verify_digest_pushed().  This results in a Write RPC, followed by a FindMissingBlobs RPC.  For both the Command and the Action.  In short, we could be eliminating a couple of RPCs and thus network roundrips here. I'll skip over step 5-6 as these are not very interesting. Although it should be noted that _sandboxremote.py:run() is ignoring the build logs from the execution response. In step 7, which happens in _sandboxremote.py:process_job_output(), we take a Tree digest that we received from the execution service, and use it in a call to cascache.pull_tree().  This will fetch all of the file blobs that are present in the tree that are not available locally.  It will also store all of the directory nodes that are referenced in the tree, and return the root digest.  This is used to construct the result virtual directory of the sandbox. In step 8 we go back to constructing a file system representation of the artifact, instead of using a CAS backed directory.  This happens in element.py:assemble() through a call to cascache.commit().  This will do a local filesystem import of files, the majority of which we exported in step 7. It will put an entry in the local ArtifactCache. Step 9-11 happen during the push phase.  Here we rely on cascache.push() to ensure that the artifact is made available on the remote CAS server.

Sidenote while we're here: apart from step 9-11 we don't actually make it clear to the scheduler which resources are needed.  As far as it is concerned a remote build job is currently taking up PROCESS tokens.

If you made it all the way here, thank you :).  I think we need to eliminate the unneeded filesystem access first.

I think there are two things we can do right now which won't be controversial:

1) Remove the calls to verify_digest_pushed - on inspection of the code, I'm now convinced these cannot do anything useful and were just added to be defensive.

2) Alter Element._cache_artifact so it uses the virtual directory system instead of a plain filing system.

Now I've caught up on the partial CAS discussion, I have quite a few questions about it, but I'll put them in a separate email.