Re: [BuildStream] Move Docker source plugin out of bst-external

On 2018-11-07 16:40, Chiara Tolentino via BuildStream-list wrote:
(Forking off the discussion in [1] as this should be two separate
conversations really)

During the last BuildStream Gathering, it was generally agreed that the Docker
source plugin should be moved out of bst-external to a new containers
repository. While the concerns regarding how CI would be run for these separate plugin repositories are valid and must be addressed, bst-external already has the issue of having to copy-paste tests from core to be able to run them. The new containers repository would then be a good place to start experimenting on
how CI would eventually work for plugin repositories.

With this change, it's expected that users of the Docker source plugin would then have to install the migrated plugins separately (either from PyPI or, as in the case of bst-external currently, by cloning the repository). And as this only concerns bst-external, this would not affect buildstream/buildstream
or the upcoming v1.4 release in any way.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas on this.

Cheers,
Chiara

[1]: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-October/msg00057.html

Hi Chiara,

I am in favour of this and would like to get started. I think there are two main topics that need to be resolved (though I can get started in the meantime):

1. Migration strategy for users
===============================

i.e. How do we move the docker source plugin with minimal disruption for users?

My suggestion is that we should refrain from deleting the docker source plugin from bst-external immediately, in case there are users who track master instead of using tagged versions. We can announce our intention to deprecate it now, and add a warning to users that the plugin is deprecated in favour of the docker source in the new repository, and remove the docker source plugin from bst-external when it's next updated in the new repository.

I would be happy to hear advice about how to do this from people with more experience with how free software projects operate, here.

Agustin, any suggestions?

2. Maintainership
=================

For the meantime, I am happy to be maintainer of this new repository, but I would like to sort out a co-maintainer as soon as possible.

Chandan, since you're listed as author of this plugin, would you be interested in being a co-maintainer for this repository?

3. The name and place of the new repository

I think it would be appropriate to put the repository under the "buildstream" project in gitlab, with the name "bst-plugins-container". If there has already been discussions somewhere and a better name agreed on, please let me know.

====

Absent any objections, I will get started on creating the new repository tomorrow.

Best regards,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Maw, Software Engineer, Codethink Ltd.
Codethink privacy policy: https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html