Buildstream's Remote Execution Structure Summary

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous email, BuildStream are embarking on remote execution.

The deadline for the implementation's name is Tuesday 29th May.

This is a summary of the structure for the new REAPI/RWAPI implementation.

> New 'build sandbox' project:
> * Written in C
> * Apache License 2.0
> * CAS FUSE layer (staging on demand) with two backends

> New 'BuildFarm' project:
> * Written in Python
> * Apache License 2.0
> * Server implementations of
>    - CAS, Action Cache, and artifact cache service
>    - Remote Execution service
>    - Remote Workers API
>        - Support for the new 'build sandbox' tool in workers
>        - Other build platforms could be added later
> * Does not depend on BuildStream but BuildStream clients can connect
>   to this via Remote Execution API, as can other clients such as Bazel
>   (if a compatible worker is supported)

> Will include integration test against Bazel to ensure we remain compatible.

A more detailed proposal can be found here.

Thanks,
Finn