Re: [Add Gitlab features to BuildStream 00/04] proposal to apply Gitlab features to BuildStream

Hi,

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 23:43:32 CEST Agustín Benito Bethencourt wrote:
Hi,

<snip>

## Description

The proposal is to make (better) use of the following items on Gitlab:

 * Milestones: check mail [Add Gitlab features to BuildStream 01/04]

I have added the milestones at Group level, so they affect every subgroup and
project.

I have gone through the "Immediate Priorities" milestone:
* I changed the milestone to BuildStream_v1.1 milestone.
* I added the label "Urgent"
* I closed the "Immediate Priorities" milestone

On Monday I will go over these tasks, bugs and MR to ensure we process them
correctly.

I will complete the milestone description once the roadmap discussion is over
(it haven't started yet).

New milestones: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/milestones

 * Labels: check mail [Add Gitlab features to BuildStream 02/04]

* Severity, status and bug labels has been created at the BuildStream group
label.
* The right priority has been assigned in the buildstream project to the
severity labels.
* Resolution labels has not been erased. I will monitor them to erase them in
the future unless we decide to use them, which I do not recommend for now.
* Severity and status labels from nosoftware have been erased since they
cannot be promoted from subgroup to group automatically. This should be
possible but is not.

Group (BuildStream) labels: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/labels
Project/repo (buildstream) labels: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/
labels

 * Boards: check mail [Add Gitlab features to BuildStream 03/04]

* I have created Issue boards at Group and buildstream project/repo level.
* I have redone all Issue Boards from nosoftware to use the same severity and
priority labels across the entire project.

## Boards at Group level (BuildStream)

These are the group level issue boards so every ticket in the BuildStream
group is shown. Developers might want to use the project level boards to only
see the tickets related with technical issues from the buildstream repo. You
can choose the boards in the upper right hand corner menu:

* Status - All
** Every ticket is shown. Status board: WIP
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580420?
milestone_title=BuildStream_v1.1&=

* Severity - All
** Every ticket is shown. Issues ordered by severity
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580416?=

* BuildStream_v1.1 - Status
** Tickets from milestone v1.1. Status board: WIP
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580420?
milestone_title=BuildStream_v1.1&=

* BuildStream_v1.1 - Severity
** Tickets from milestone v1.1. Ordered by severity
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580444?
milestone_title=BuildStream_v1.1&=

* BuildStream_v1.2 - Status
** Tickets from milestone v1.2. Status board: WIP
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580430?
milestone_title=BuildStream_v1.2&=

* BuildStream_v1.2 - Severity
** Tickets from milestone v1.2. Ordered by severity (important, urgent and
critical)
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580445?
milestone_title=BuildStream_v1.2&=

* Bugs - Status
** Every bug across the BuildStream group ordered by severity (important,
urgent and critical)
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580599?
=&label_name[]=Bug

* Bugs - Severity
** Every bug ordered by severity (important, urgent and critical)
** Link: https://gitlab.com/groups/BuildStream/-/boards/580438?
=&label_name[]=Bug

## Boards at project/repo level (buildstream)

Tickets only from the buildstream repo apply here.

* Status - All
** Every ticket is shown. Status board: WIP
** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/134373?=

* Severity - All
** Every ticket from buildstream repo is shown. Status board: WIP
** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580452?=

** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580451?

** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580453?

** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580459?

** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580457?

** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580464?
=&label_name[]=Bug

* Bugs - Severity
** Every bug ordered by severity (important, urgent and critical)
** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580462?
=&label_name[]=Bug

* Blocker - Status
** Every ticket with the label blocker. It will be important for follow up
meetings when releases approach.
** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580466?
=&label_name[]=Blocker

* Critical - Status
** Every ticket with the severity at Critical level will be shown. This board
will be important in coordination meetings and to highlight work packages or
bugs that requires immediate attention.
** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580470?
=&label_name[]=Critical

* Unprocessed/unclassified
** Tickets and bug that has not been processed. They have no milestone
assigned.
** Link: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/580472?
milestone_title=No+Milestone&=

In a couple of days I will implement the labels unless there is discussion
about it. I would wait then.

The next step is to write down the policies for managing tickets, bugs and MR
based on the current proposal.

Meanwhile, it would help me if you do the following:
* Assign to yourself those tickets you are currently working on. The policy
will state that there should be no more that 2 tickets assigned to a developer
at any given time.
* Assign the label Doing to the tickets you are currently working on. You can
do it in two different ways:
** Assigning the label to the ticket in the right hand menu of the ticket
description view.
** Go to the Status - All board[1], for instance and move your ticket from
where it is right now (probably backlog) to the Doing column.

[1] https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/boards/134373?=

Best Regards

--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt