Re: Discussion on source mirroring (with counter proposal)

On 2018-03-20 10:00, Sander Striker wrote:
<snip>
I am not convinced about the need of a single concentrated mirror for
all sources.  For instance if you are hosting your own version control
systems, then those sources do not need to be included in the mirror.

Agreed, except that "your own" sources maybe upstream for others, even within a company and/or a company ecosystem.

Considering that this concentrated mirror is accumulating all history
over time, I can see some scalability concerns.

I was surprised to read this. Discussing with colleagues just now, we guesstimate that all Debian source, including history would <2TB (maybe even <1TB).

As I understand it the current Debian mirror, which includes binaries for many architectures, weighs in at 2.6TB

A sharding approach
is not an option in this case.  If you do want to shard, your back to
custom "mirroring" solutions anyway.

Yup.

br
Paul