Re: Release on PyPi

I hear migrate to CAS is a blocker for that, can remember the details

El lun., 25 jun. 2018 a las 23:23, Chandan Singh (<chandan chandansingh net>) escribió:
Hi,

I was wondering if we have considered releasing BuildStream, and possibly
bst-external too, on PyPi?

I was unable to find a thread about this topic but in case it has already been
discussed, please send me a link :)

Anyway, here are my thoughts on this topic.

Release on PyPi
===============

Installing BuidStream is a two-step process:

1. Install its dependencies using system package manager
2. Install BuildStream via: `git clone` + `pip install`

Releasing BuildStream on PyPi would make the second step a bit simpler:
`pip install BuildStream`.

Similarly, updating BuildStream would not require fetching and merging changes
as that would be handled by pip as well.

I would also like to propose doing the same for bst-external too. Currently
the way to use it via submodules, keeping which up-to-date can be a pain. It
would be much nicer to be able do update them via pip.

It is worth noting that this proposal is targetted towards end-users, and not
BuildStream developers as the latter would propbably prefer `pip install -e`.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chandan