Re: Package manager integration with BuildStream

On 2018-06-18 17:03, Gökçen Nurlu wrote:
Hello all,

I pushed a MR that introduces SourceTransform plugin. Although it is
WIP, I believe a review would help a lot to ensure that it is on the
right track because it touches some parts of element.py.

The MR also has a copy of an example plugin implementation for go/dep.
I think it makes it easier to think about what SourceTransform should
provide to implementors and how. It will be removed before merge (if
we proceed with this MR :)

Link to the MR: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/merge_requests/505/

Best regards,
Gokcen

Hi Gokcen,

I've been somewhat out of the loop for the package manager integration, so it's possible I'm raising things that have already been discussed, so I'll throw these questions out and complete this review later (I might have a long period of meetings before I can catch up on the E-mail discussion :) ).

I'm also going to avoid picking at specific details.

My understanding of the purpose of SourceTransform plugins is that they need to be able to access the previous sources so they can (in Gopkg's case) find the configuration file that lists which packages to download.

So, my questions are:

1. Is SourceTransform too specific? Could the ability to check previous sources be useful for other sources at some point? If so, we'd be able to avoid some complexity. 2. In __ensure_previous_sources() we're fetching and tracking a bunch of sources. I'm concerned that ought to be done in the pipeline, instead. 3. This has probably been discussed earlier, but would it be acceptable to embed the contents of the Gopkg.toml file into the source's config field, instead? If the files are too big, I believe there was a proposal for buildstream to be able to include loose files into the yaml. I suppose the main thing against sticking the package list in the project is that you wouldn't be able to track the package list and would have to include it manually :-/

Best regards,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Maw, Software Engineer, Codethink Ltd.
Codethink privacy policy: https://www.codethink.co.uk/privacy.html