Re: Windows, OS X

On Tue, 2018-05-29 at 15:21 +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
Hi,

First let me reiterate the goals of the proposal for Remote Execution
(https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-
April/msg00006.html):

Remote execution enables BuildStream to run build jobs in a
distributed network instead of on the local machine. This allows
massive speedups when a powerful cluster of servers is available.

Besides speeding up builds, a goal is also to allow running builds
on workers that use a different execution environment, e.g., a
different operating system or ISA.

The goal is not to offload a complete BuildStream session to a
remote system. BuildStream will still run locally and dispatch
individual build jobs for elements with the existing pipeline.

Even when the target platform is Linux, there is a large set of
developers on either OS X or Windows [laptops].   As we are
considering different execution environments on workers, we can also
start considering supporting BuildStream natively in these
environments.
Assuming the scope to be limited to remote execution only for now,
then I think we should aim to support OS X and Windows, but limited
to Windows + WSL (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about)
.
Once the remote execution sandbox backend is in place, I think the
complexity will not be too bad.  But curious to here of any pitfalls.

So there are a few separate things here:

  * Different execution environments, to be available with
    remote execution.

  * Guaranteed linux/abi execution environment, to be virtualized
    on a variety of platforms.

  * Portable BuildStream frontend/core.

All of these things desirable...

I think that WSL is interesting for people building linux but using a
windows laptop to do so, less interesting with remote execution where
you might as well have a real linux runner (rather I'd very much like
to use a native windows sandbox remotely, while running BuildStream on
my linux laptop).

Still, if we were to have a portable BuildStream frontend which runs on
windows to build a linux firmware, then implementing a WSL build
sandbox would be a good starting place.