Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: bst artifact subcommand group

On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 13:51 +0100, Paul Sherwood via Buildstream-list wrote:
On 2018-07-24 11:48, Tristan Van Berkom via Buildstream-list wrote:
<snip>
It was recently raised that we cannot determine the build date of an
existing artifact either[1], as it's not a part of artifact metadata,
this discussion evolved to proposing that we have a subgroup of CLI
commands for dealing with specific artifacts.

Perhaps a dumb question, but why isn't creation date of the artifact
file/archive good enough?

POSIX systems do not generally support creation/birth time metadata for
files, only modification, status change, and access times.

As such I'd like to propose the following, probably uncontroversial
enhancements:

  o Add the build date to the artifact metadata, as a timezone neutral
    unix timestamp (seconds since epoch in UTC).

For text-based formats such as artifact metadata, I would rather
recommend RFC 3339 (ISO8601-based).

Jürg