Re: WIP flag for merge requests

Hi,

On Tuesday, 17 July 2018 11:21:22 PDT Agustín Benito Bethencourt via
Buildstream-list wrote:
Hi,

On Tuesday, 17 July 2018 03:25:03 PDT Jim MacArthur via Buildstream-list

wrote:
Our current use of the 'WIP' flag - which so far as I can tell hasn't
been documented on the mailing list - differs from the description in
HACKING.rst.

Codethink have been using this flag to indicate that a merge request is
ready for general review and not for maintainer review. After an initial
review the WIP flag would be removed which signaled that it was ready
for a more formal review. We started using this two-stage review process
to try and reduce the load on Tristan Van Berkom.

However, HACKING.rst, says "Merge requests that are not yet ready for
review must be prefixed with the WIP: identifier."

It's also been suggested that things not ready for review should not be
made into a merge request.

HACKING.rst should reflect the actual procedure - what should it be?

Thanks for highlighting this topic. I have it in my ToDo but we ended up not
discussing Gitlab related topics in the BoFs.

I think the contrary. The current usage of MR can be improved in order to
reduce the management overhead of those doing code review.

I will talk to Tristan to find a solution but the name of a MR should not be
the ultimate solution. In order to change the state of an item, Gitlab
provides labels and workflows so filtering becomes easier and MR names do
not need to be changes.

I will propose a solution late next week if everything goes as planned.

Please watch this issue if you are interested on this topic: https://
gitlab.com/BuildStream/nosoftware/alignment/issues/5

Best Regards
--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant