Re: Python package importer for BuildStream

Hi Jim,

On Tue, 2018-02-13 at 15:14 +0000, Jim MacArthur wrote:
While trying to import reprotest into BuildStream I found the chain
of Python package dependencies annoying, so I wrote this tool for
recursively generating .bst element files for a given PyPi (pip)
module:

https://gitlab.com/jmacarthur/python-to-element

It's got a few problems at the moment, mainly URL encoding, but
works for most packages. If people find it useful, I'll continue to
work on it.

You could make it use `kind: pip` and just remove you install-commands.
For example, for something without dependencies, the following should
be enough:

```
kind: pip

sources:
- kind: zip
  url: pypi:p/pytz/pytz-2017.2.zip
```

Also, I defined the "pypi" alias in my project.conf:

```
aliases:
  pypi: https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/source/
```

That makes all those urls much nicer. :)

Of course the hard part is automating the dependencies though, creating
an element for each one. :-/

--
Mathieu