Re: [BuildStream] BuildStream license compliance: taking steps further

Hi Agustin,
please see my comments inline...

On 2018-12-18 11:20, Agustín Benito Bethencourt via BuildStream-list wrote:
I have been checking the headers of BuildStream files. I think there
is some extra effort we can do to improve the current state of
Buildstream compliance with the license.

While I appreciate that world and dog are taking increasing interest in this (not least as a result of OpenChain and other initiatives), I personally think that BST licensing is in a mess (wrong licence was chosen originally) and we'd be better placed trying to unravel that before expending effort on compliance.

## Why should we put effort in the compliance field?

1.- Compliance is a hygiene factor. It does not shine but it is
definitely a problem when it is not there.
2.- Every atom of effort we put on compliance upstream is time and
money we save downstream, specially in commercial environments.

I'd be interested to hear how you justify this claim. bst is primarily tooling for construction of software - downstreams would not normally distribute bst, so it's not clear to me what time/costs you're referring to?

3.- License compliance is an important (negative) factor for more and
more decision makers in commercial environments when it comes to
choosing a tool/technology.

There are other, arguably more important factors. Not sure why you're flagging this one specifically.

4.- It says more than we might think about the professionals and
stakeholders behind the project to more and more people.

I represent a stakeholder, and I completely failed to even notice the licensing adopted by the project. That reflects badly on me, obviously, but I don't see how focusing any effort on compliance is going to help in the slightest. i Please enlighten me :-)

br
Paul