Re: [BuildStream] Breaking change: changing '--force or fail' to y/n prompts

On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 10:32 +0000, Angelos Evripiotis via BuildStream-list wrote:
[...]
Again, I'd prefer not to do any of this, and instead remove the prompt
namespace completely, along with the 'are you sure?' prompts. I'm merely
following my understanding of the design philosophy. Please say if you also
prefer not to do this :)

If you are suggesting that we *remove* the interactive prompt which
allows you to debug in mid-build, I think that would be going way too
far.

Frankly, the ability to debug and fix things in mid build is probably
my *favorite* feature that JHBuild does, it's really convenient, and I
would *like* to take it further in BuildStream.

For instance, what I really find annoying is that after building the
first 200 elements in a BuildStream build and finding that something
fails, I have to either wait for orthogonal builds to finish and
relaunch build stream, or force them to terminate.

What I would like to be able to do instead, is change some build
commands, or modify the source "ref" in the ".bst" file for the failing
element, and have the interactive option to *reload* the changes I've
made to my element, and then go ahead and keep building, possibly with
the option of either re-running configure or not.

Reconstructing the whole build graph of reverse dependencies in the
middle of a build is just technically challenging, which is why we
don't have that feature from the beginning.