Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: spreading responsibility and maintainership [Was: 1.4 Release timeline]

I wrote this last night before anyone else had replied however I was not able to send it until now

I think some of Angelos' comments are related to the topics I coved but don't materially change the thrust of my points

On 11/12/2018 11:06, Tristan Van Berkom via BuildStream-list wrote:

> <snip>
> How to get there from here
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I think there are a few essential factors which are standing in the way
> of getting to a place with a more healthy community, where the barrier
> of entry is as low as possible, and the road to becoming a maintainer
> and decision maker is clear and fair enough.

This seems to be implying that people are not getting in involved as developers
because it is hard to become a maintainer.

I think the path for people becoming developers is when people start using it
and then get interested in improving it.

If you want more "organic" developers then I think firstly making it easy to
learn and secondly use and thirdly submit submit patches should be the priority.
Not making it easier to be a maintainer.

That is not to say we should not make it as easy as possible to be a maintainer
but that we should not conflate the two.

> <snip>
>
>       https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/code_owners.html
>
>     Would it be a good idea to use this feature ? I personally feel that
>     we don't need to strictly police the people we trust to commit to a
>     given area of software, and that we can just trust them to only do
>     what they have permission to do.

Again I think this makes it easier for maintainer and slightly harder for
developers to keep track, this is not to say it is not valuable.

> <snip>
>

>       o Movement on merge requests
>
>         This should be only for merge requests which are really ready
>         to be reviewed to merge.
>
>     To achieve this, I think we should:
>
>     - Only ever self-assign issues; an issue is only ever assigned to
>       the person writing the code, not the reviewer, or the person you
>       asked a question to.
>
>       These generate notifications, and nobody else is interested in
>       receiving notifications about an assignee ping pong game.
>
>     - Only file merge requests when you are actually ready to request
>       a merge.
>
>       Remember that everyone is watching this notification channel,
>       we dont want to spam everyone with every push you make to your
>       work in progress branch.

In my experience Gitlab does not have a good way to review a branch without
creating a merge request.

You can push a branch and get people to review individual commits but getting
the diff of all the commits to master or keeping track of the comments for a
branch is very hard, especially after a rebase. I have tried to do this to delay
the point at which i make MR and it is a terrible workflow.

There for if we want to make it as easy as possible for people to submit their first patch then using a WIP MR and getting some nice gentle feed back in the WIP state before them move to the non-WIP full review seems right for new people.

It is a work flow I would miss greatly but that i could live without.

I appreciate that this does create more mail but given how easy it is to create a rule that just puts all the WIP MR emails in your emails trash I think it is
a useful trade off.

>     Dispel the corporate image, reduce visible micro management
>     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>     Currently I feel that the way we have structured things in the
>     past year has led to a micro managed workflow.
>
>     Because we purport to classify priorities and track the status
>     of each and every issue, this has led us to a state of affairs where
>     issues get escalated and then assigned back down a food chain of
>     sorts.
>
>     In this state of affairs, developers are not doing the dictating
>     of what needs to be done, and I think this works against us if
>     we want developers to have a sense of ownership and have the
>     opportunity (or desire, even) to grow into maintainers.
>
>     From a project perspective, we can at least improve the situation
>     by putting the onus on the individuals contributing, and removing
>     the public bookkeeping of status and priorities from gitlab.

Given the reality that almost all of our developers have their priorities set for them, then allowing others in the project to get a feel for why things are
happening the way they are seems fair to me. The little labels don't dictate
how a new independent developer would spend there time but would let them see why others are acting the way they are so i fail to see the importance of this.

> <snip>
>

> Do other people have ideas of what we could do to improve the community
> aspects of this project ?

Making it easier to use and get started with?

I think the way to get more developers is to get more users.

Currently the doc's and Sam Thursfield's blog are the only public resources to introduce and ease people in. And I am unaware of something that really sells buildstream with a simple guide of how to take advantage of just a little bit of
the bst goodness.

Freedesktop and the Gnome meta project are great resources for a intermediate level user but they require a fair bit of knowledge before they can act as examples.

However having lots of examples makes it more likely that the example will be close to what a new person will want to do however we have a policy of not having
examples overlap which effectively minimizes the number of examples in the
official doc's. Which would be fine if we had lots of other example out there
in blog posts etc

As for improving the community feel for those already developing it then maybe giving them the opportunity to work with it as well as on it might help matters?