Re: [BuildStream] CAS server resource names & instance names

On 10/12/2018 12:46, Jürg Billeter wrote:

Remote execution storage will take an optional instance name and not
provide it or the initial slash if it's not provided, although I will
allow specification of "" as a valid instance name, distinct from not
specifying one.
I don't understand this. In the protocol there is no difference between
an empty instance name and not specifying an instance name (as in
protobuf it's the same). Why (and how) would we treat these two cases
differently in BuildStream, possibly violating the spec?

Cheers,
Jürg

I don't see how you've got to the conclusion that empty instance and no instance are the same thing. The Bazel protocol does say "For servers which do not support multiple instances, then the `instance_name` is the empty path" but that doesn't necessary imply behaviour for servers which do support it. I can also see mappings to http URLs which look like they'll always include an instance name or empty string, but I wasn't considering them authoritative specifications.

Jim