Re: [BuildStream] bst show all and bst build all flags

On 2018-12-03 14:20, Jonathan Maw via BuildStream-list wrote:
On 2018-12-03 14:04, Phillip Smyth via BuildStream-list wrote:
Hi all,

I'm close to introducing an effective "build world" command and a
"validate world" command.
This is designed to build and validate all elements in a project,
regardless of dependencies.

There is however the issue that a `bst build --all` command already
exists which does something different.

So, i wanted to reach out to everyone to get feedback on how we should
name these flags.

So far as i understand it, the options are:
both use `bst [command] --all`
both use `bst [command] --world`
or both use  `bst [command]`

The third option defaulting a command without a named element, to the
equivalent to --world.

I am open to new ideas/options and hopefully we'll have a final
decision soon so i can get everything finished

Hi Phillip,

`bst [command]` will conflict with the proposed (and currently being
implemented) workspace behaviour, i.e. when commands are run from a
workspace and an element is omitted, it'll default to the element that
corresponds to the open workspace.

In my opinion, "--world" is the most sensible.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
thanks for replying,
I agree that "--world" would make the most sense, as other "--all" flags exist and having the same command do different things (in the case of workspace behaviour) i feel is a bad idea

many thanks,
Phillip