Re: [BuildStream] Proposal: BuildStream manifest file generation

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 12:54 PM Tristan Van Berkom via BuildStream-list <buildstream-list gnome org> wrote:
[...]
Ummm, really not what I was shooting for.

Rather the question is, why should BuildStream have any added
configuration, or any knowledge of "What a manifest is" at all ?

We need to provide ways to access and extract the data that you need,
there is no doubt about that; there are other requests already in queue
for these, and a solution needs to be thought out to better provide
introspection about sources and their refs; which probably need backing
support from Plugins to work at all.

For a project that wants to create some kind of post build summary, I
would expect them to do something like this, which took me all of 20
minutes to write:

  https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/snippets/1744606

In short, I think that given BuildStream should be very well
scriptable, any concept of a "manifest" in BuildStream proper is just
scope creep.

Can we please instead focus on the `bst artifact` command subgroup, and
ensure there is a proposal to allow similar introspection for Sources
in some way (maybe a `bst source-show` command or similar ?) - and in
this way, ensure that people have the tools they need to accomplish the
tasks they want to achieve ?

I actually still have a draft reply open to the artifact command subgroup :).  I do think it makes sense to add something there to the effect you describe above.

Maybe
  bst artifact origin <cachekey>
or
  bst artifact genesis <cachekey>

Which would return enough information to know what went into producing the artifact.  That would enable answering the question "For a given artifact, where did it come from?"

Is that in line with what you were thinking?  Are you proposing to do mappings like this outside of BuildStream proper?

Cheers,

Sander