Re: Project is under heavy load

Hi Tristan,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:24 AM Tristan Van Berkom <tristan vanberkom codethink co uk> wrote:
[...]

On Tue, 2018-04-24 at 15:39 +0000, Sander Striker wrote:
> I think we can be doing something to make it easier for new members of the
> project to find their way in the codebase.  HACKING.rst does explain rules
> around submissions, the coding style, etc, but it doesn't refer to an overall
> architecture.
> I think we can make it more feasible for people to understand the whole
> codebase by providing an architecture overview with references to the
> codebase.
> One perspective is to also follow the flow of the `bst` commandline client,
> and explaining what happens where.  In light of the BuildStream as a
> library thread, other perspectives will follow further down the line.
> I'll try to contribute something in this space, but will solicit some
> help :)

Yes, I'd like to have an architectural document, which of course is a
tricky balance because, it adds to the list of things to be maintained.

I have some initial design material which I can perhaps reuse, which
includes some cute libreoffice diagrams describing the data model which
can be of help... I will try to find time to make something like this
happen.

I'm happy to help if you want to share some of that raw material.

Cheers,

Sander

Sander