Re: Proposal for Remote Execution

On Thu, 2018-04-19 at 11:34 +0100, Jim MacArthur wrote:
On 11/04/18 21:37, Jürg Billeter wrote:
Virtual File System API
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a second phase I'm proposing to introduce a virtual file system API that
both BuildStream core and element plugins can use in place of path-based
file system operations provided by the OS. The goal is to allow transparent
and efficient manipulation of Merkle trees.

The API consists of an abstract Directory class that supports creating
directories, copying/renaming/moving files and whole directory trees, and
importing files from a local path. See also the existing `utils` functions
`link_files` and `copy_files`, equivalent operations need to be supported.

You explicitly say importing files but not exporting - do you intend
there to be any means to copy files or directories out of a virtual
directory to a local path, as we currently do when running `bst checkout`?

It might not strictly be necessary for the plugin API but we could
implement it anyway for completeness. `bst checkout` wouldn't be
required to be ported to the new API, however, it may make the code
more consistent, so maybe we should do it.

Jürg