Re: Proposal for Remote Execution

The way I would describe the difference is that the keys in CAS are all based on the value the key identifies.  A ref is not based on the value it points  to and as such can be anything.

Cheers,

Sander

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018, 11:58 Jim MacArthur <jim macarthur codethink co uk> wrote:

On 11/04/18 21:37, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> The CAS is similar to a OSTree repository, storing directories as Merkle
> trees. However, unlike OSTree, CAS does not include support for refs.

What's the material difference between a Merkle tree hash and an OSTree
ref (in the way BuildStream uses refs)? It's my understanding that our
OSTree refs are a unique identifier for the pre-build conditions, plus
the project and artifact name, while a Merkle hash would be a unique
identifier for the results of the build, but is there some other
difference I should know about?

(Reading through the rest of the proposal at the moment, looks good!)

Jim