Re: Autotools module and mandatory autogen

Tristan Van Berkom <tristan vanberkom codethink co uk> wrote:
On Tue, 2017-11-07 at 10:13 +0000, Sam Thursfield wrote:
On 07/11/17 04:52, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
I have to admit the difference in treatment surprised me a lot, and
can see it leading to a lot of confusion in the future. IMHO if
BuildStream considers that the autogen step is mandatory, then it
really should always run it no matter what.

A simple (untested) fix would be to use the following conditionals
instead:

     if [ -e autogen ]; then ./autogen;
     elif [ -e autogen.sh ]; then ./autogen.sh;
     elif [ -e bootstrap ]; then ./bootstrap;
     elif [ -e bootstrap.sh ]; then ./bootstrap.sh;
     else autoreconf -ivf;
     fi

What do people here think? Does this seem important? Or am I just
blocked on some unjustified need for absolute consistency? :)

I think that change makes sense.

There may be a few elements in projects which break because they have
declared themselves to use 'autotools' when in fact they don't, but
those should be fixed anyway.

Also agree.

As an additional note, pre-wrapped tarballs have a side effect of
getting stale, there are a lot of tarballs which have not been re-
rolled for a very long time (either unmaintained, or just simple enough
they didnt need any update), these tarballs tend to fail on Aarch64
without an autoreconf due to having been originally released with a
config.sub and config.guess which never knew about Aarch64.

Ok then. I'm currently traveling without access to a computer, but I'll send a merge request as soon as I get
back.

Thanks,

--
Mathieu