Re: [Builder] Error building gnome-builder from gnome-builder

On 03/23/2017 07:23 AM, Jose Antonio Velasco wrote:
I'm new to gnome-builder and I'm trying to install it on Elementary OS
in order to try to contribute to the project (if I'm able...)So far,
I've installed gnome-builder through jhbuild and I'm able to open
gnome-builder project in gnome-builder, but when I try to build the
project I get this error message:
configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.50.0
gmodule-2.0 >= 2.50.0
gtk+-3.0 >= 3.22.1) were not met:
Requested 'glib-2.0 >= 2.50.0' but version of GLib is 2.48.2
Requested 'gmodule-2.0 >= 2.50.0' but version of GModule is 2.48.2
Requested 'gtk+-3.0 >= 3.22.1' but version of GTK+ is 3.18.9
Alternatively, you may set the environment variables EGG_CFLAGS
and EGG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I think you may have gotten help in the IRC channel already, but for
posterity, I'll add some notes here.

If you're going to build from source on your system, there are two
reasonable ways to go about this.

 - JHBuild (which helps you build all the GNOME dependencies)
 - Flatpak (does the same, but will save you a ton of time over jhbuild)

Otherwise, we have really steep dependencies as we are build in
lock-step with GNOME. Unless your distribution has up-to-date, building
Builder without the dependency tree is Sisyphean.

We are *almost* at the point where you can use the Flatpak version of
Builder to contribute to Builder. The primary thing we need to address
to make that happen is to support "run arguments" when clicking the Run
button. Builder will simply activate the previous instance of Builder
unless the --standalone option is set. We will almost certainly fix this
in the upcoming month(s) as I would like Flatpak to be our preferred
method of hacking on Builder before GUADEC in July/August.

Here are some helpful tricks to get started from the documentation:

  http://builder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html#via-jhbuild

And let us know if we can help track anything else down. I'd love to see
more people on Elementary using Builder.

-- Christian