Re: [Builder] Search and replace - reusable frontend

On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:21:14AM -0700, Christian Hergert wrote:
Like most of our upstream work has gone in the last couple years, I
imagine we'll prototype first (which Matthew Leeds will be working on
it), and then look to see how it can be abstracted into GSV

Actually, I wanted to add, since now you know that the search and
replace UI (at least for the single-document search and replace, the
first part) is something that would be nice to put in a shared library,
the best - to ease the upstream work - is to develop the feature in a
separate directory in gnome-builder, to have something self-contained
that depends only on GTK+ and GSV, and where there is already some
thoughts on the API. And this, right from the start, because otherwise
it is more work to make the feature independent of other gnome-builder
code.

Of course, if there is a nice self-contained utility class available in
gnome-builder that makes the code way easier to write, then it makes
sense to use it and when we copy the code to another repository we can
also copy that utility class.

Also, another smaller thing. It's stupid, but the indentation style of
GSV and gnome-builder are different. If the final goal is to put the
code in GSV, it's simpler if the coding style is the same as in GSV. But
I would understand if you don't like writing code in a different style
in gnome-builder. It's just that GNU indent doesn't work well to convert
to the GSV style and so it needs manual and boring work. It's not the
end of the world if someone needs to do it, but I prefer to at least
mention it. It would be "going the extra mile" to ease the upstream
work.

Of course you can also develop the feature directly in a Gtef branch. In
gnome-builder you don't need to use all of Gtef, you could just use the
search and replace. That would avoid the coding style problem (Gtef uses
the same coding style as GSV), and it would ensure that the code is
reusable.

What do you think?

--
Sébastien