Re: [Builder] Builder-list Digest, Vol 14, Issue 1

On 02/17/2016 08:39 PM, RoundDuck Man wrote:
I guess. Hopefully the condition changes since many other development
programs (Godot, Geany, Atom, Emacs, etc) can be upgraded without
needing xdg-apps or upgrading the GUI. Maybe this can be thrown in as a
far future roadmap, or a sect of developers making a fork of a older
Builder version?  It's because the state of an updated Gnome is horrible
for distros like Ubuntu, because of the feature freeze blocking the use
of a newer Gnome (and consequently Builder) version in the name of
stability. Wish maybe the release pattern of Gnome (or Ubuntu) changed
to fix this, with occasional LTS releases of the DE for LTS distros,
like Ubuntu LTS and RHEL, so those versions of Gnome can have occasional
bug fixes and minor improvements to polish up these releases. Of course
though I've heard at least in the past that Gnome is undermanned,
hopefully that gets fixed someday, instead of people caring just about
the fancy "cloud." Oh and that web. It might be the wrong place to speak
of most of this though and I maybe should directly contact the mainline
Gnome devs instead of you all for a lot of Gnome stuff I said. They'll
deal with my ramblings. ;)

I think perhaps you've mistaken what Xdg-App provides.

It would not have an effect on your running operating system. You'd
continue running whatever LTS/RHEL/etc you have. However, there would be
a small runtime installed (in .local/share/xdg-app/) that contains a
modern set of libraries (provided by GNOME) and the Builder application
(provided by us).

When running the application (xdg-app run org.gnome.Builder), it sets up
a new container namespace, maps in our runtime (instead of your LTS
libraries), and executes as normal, talking to X, Wayland, Mir, etc.

You shouldn't really notice that you are running a modern gtk, glib, and
Builder except that Builder will be improved.

Even better, now that Ubuntu is going to ship GNOME Software, you'll be
able to update the applications just like you would those shipped by
your OS vendor. It will also integrate into your application chooser.

It's sort of an ISV dream.

-- Christian