drive detection ?

Hi,

I'm using brasero on two machines with nearly identical hardware
and identical (believed) software.
Still, on one machine it works just fine, while on the other one
I need the command line option  --device=/dev/sr0
If I don't use this, brasero doesn't 'see' the drive except
when I try to eject the medium - but if I really try to eject it
I get "permission denied".
I've checked permissions on /dev/sr0 which are OK (and identical
to those on the machine where brasero is working just fine).

So, how does brasero detect the burning device?
What might be the reason for my problems on one of my machines?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch