Re: Brasero 2.27.91 release

Luis Medinas <lmedinas gnome org> wrote:

> > Does this mean that brasero now supports to write or copy audio CDs using
> > cdda2wav/cdrecord?
> > ... or is the audio CD support missing?
>
> This mean that we were using HAL and now we are only using GIO. And it's
> fixed for opensolaris.
> Brasero DOES support write/copy audio cd's using cdrecord you only need
> to select the right gconf keys in order to use them (in case if you have
> cdrdao,cdrkit and libburnia).

As you might know:

cdrdao		is no longer actively maintained since ~3 years and does not
		implement visible benefits. It is missing on Solaris, Solaris
		has cdrtools.

cdrkit		cannot be legally distributed and is unmaintained since May 6th
		2006. It is of course missing on Solaris, Solaris has cdrtools.

libburnia	is nonportable and thus does not exist on Solaris.
		The best method to create a portable GUI is to rely on portable
		software like cdrtools for any SCSI command that needs to be
		send.

I am not sure whether I correctly understand your reply.
So let me ask again: does Brasero include support to write/copy audio cd's
using cdrecord?

> > Are you able to help to start a discussion with the gio people in order to
> > define a usable interface for CD/DVD/BluRay writing?
> >
> We've been talking with GIO and DeviceKit maintainers to improve support
> for burning media. Devicekit is still a young project and we still need
> to make sure what the project goals are in terms of media burning. Then
> we will discuss and implement something if it needs it. In other hand
> other applications may use libbrasero (which include bindings) if they
> need. Brasero libraries are very complete and can provide useful
> features for media handling.

Do you implement a workaround for the hald design bug on Linux that causes hald
to read from a CD while it is written? This is a hald bug that creates coasters
with a high probability.

What functionality do you implement at all in this area?

> > Do you now have time to discuss how to enhance the functionality?
> >

> Sure, let's wait to see GIO/DK plans for GNOME 3.0 and see if we can
> help there.

I know a lot of typical problems that happen while writing CDs CVDs or BluRays.
Some of them are design bugs in hald that are specific for Linux, others are
not even yet documented on the net as people did not try to use the kind of
scenario that would trigger them (this is e.g. related to multi session).

BTW: Linux did work perfectly _before_ hald exists... I would expect that the
people who implemented hald did contact me for a discussion and for help on how
to create a useful application that does not disturb CD/DVD/BluRay writing.
Maybe you can be a mediator to the benefit of our users....

> > > Please report bugs to: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/browse.cgi?product=brasero
> >
> > This is unfortunately not possible :-(
> >
> Yes it's possible, just click on 'file bugs' and you can do it.

Then you don't seem to know that a person from the Gnome project (Olav Vitters)
banned me from the gnome bugzilla because I was helpful and because I have been
attacked by a person........

Does this mean that GNOME is not interested in getting useful help from
developers of code GNOME is based on?

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg schily isdn cs tu-berlin de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       js cs tu-berlin de                (uni)