Re: Translations

Le vendredi 12 septembre 2008 à 11:19 +0200, maldito astur a écrit :
Hi,

I would like to translate brasero to my language (Asturian; ast-code).
What must I do to start to translate it?

Thanks
Hi,

Thanks for your (future) work.
Here is a page for reference: http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/JoiningTranslation

First get the most uptodate sources from SVN trunk; see the following link to do that:
http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html

or basically

svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/brasero/trunk brasero

Then, what you need is to generate a po file (if none exists already in po/ directory of the sources). Do that with in the po/ directory of the sources:
intltool-update -p ast.po

Then, translate it. I suggest to use the program poedit which is great for that. You simply have to open your ast.po file with it and translate each and every string.

Now, the problem is there is no Asturian coordinator for GNOME so you won't be able to send your translation to anyone but me. This is not the best, since developers are not supposed to interfere with the translation process.

You could also start a new team for Asturian language and become the coordinator for it. Every detail to create a new translation team and get access to SVN GNOME to manage all Asturian translations is on this page:
http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/StartingATeam

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Philippe