Re: How to connect a midi keyboard?

   Hi!

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:45:27PM +0200, Thomas M?ller wrote:
> i'm new to beast, and still a little bit overwhelmed by the possibilities, but
> it seems to offer very interesting possibilities.
>
> But I already have problems connecting my midi-keyboard to the system.
> Normally I use jack to connect midi-keyboard to rosegarden/qsynth/amsynth or
> whatever im using, which works fine.. but it seems beast is not yet
> jack-capable.
>
> I tried to start the midi-test.bse, but it remains silent (pcm works, tested
> it with an oszilator).
> The Faq pointed me to another site ( The Linux MIDI-HOWTO ), which recommends
> using aconnect to connect softsynth and mididevices, but beast doesnt appear
> in aconnect, so i don't know how to connect.
>
> Can you please give me some hints on how to connect midi-keyboard to beast?
> Thanks in advance.

You can use the ALSA virtual midi device kernel module. It is called
snd-virmidi. After loading it, you can tell beast to receive midi events from
the virtual midi device (starting beast -m /dev/midi<something>), and connect
the midi keyboard to the virtual midi device. A detailed description can be
found here:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/MIDI-HOWTO-10.html

and some beast specific advice in the german article here:

http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2003/11/032-beast/

Stefan Westerfeld, Hamburg/Germany, http://space.twc.de/~stefan